Solar energy is one of the most effective kinds of renewable energy in the world. Having solar panels can help you do your bit for the environment in the world. Having solar panels can help you do your bit for the environment, whilst also saving money on your bills, so it’s not a surprise that they are a popular choice.
Yet buying solar panels can be a huge investment, so of course, you’ll likely have a few questions about them.
That’s why here at The Roofing Company Bristol Ltd, we have put together a comprehensive guide about solar energy, how you can benefit from it, and how you can make sure that you are making the right choices for you. To us, it is important that our customers are as informed as possible. We have been offering solar panel installation in Bristol for many years, so any further questions you may have, don’t hesitate to contact us on 01174 055158 today.
What are Solar Panels?
When choosing solar panels for your home, you will find that there are two main kinds of solar power and two types of solar panels. Granted they look incredibly similar, but they are very different in what they do.
- Electricity-generating solar panels, also known as photovoltaics (PV). These take the energy from the sun and convert it into electricity. These are the ones that give you electricity.
- Water-heating solar panels, also known as solar thermal systems. These use the sun to heat your water. The water will flow through the coils in the solar panel and back into your water cylinder. These panels won’t generate any electricity.
Why is Solar Energy Important?
The energy radiated from the sun, known as solar energy is a vast, inexhaustible and clean source of energy. This energy can be used for heating and lighting homes, generating electricity and for hot water heating.
What’s more, with growing concerns around climate change, solar electricity represents a clean alternative to fossil fuels, with no air and water pollution, no global warming or threats to public health.
What are the Benefits of Solar Panels?
Having solar panels has many benefits, including:
- A lower electricity bill: Depending on how much electricity you use and the size of your solar panels, you may be able to produce enough energy for your whole home. Whereas if you opt for a solar thermal system, you should also save money on heating water.
- A lower carbon footprint: Solar energy is renewable, so you’ll be powering your home without burning fossil fuel and you’ll be doing your bit to help save the planet.
- Efficient all year: Solar panels will be efficient and produce energy all year round, not just when the sun is shining most.
Do I Need Planning Permission to Add Solar Panels to My Home?
The installation of solar panels onto your home may come under ‘permitted development’, therefore meaning that you don’t require special permission.
It’s best though, to discuss this with your Local Planning Authority to make sure that all conditions are met.
Is My Property Suitable for Solar Panels?
Solar panels are suitable for most homes in the UK. The ideal roof for fitting solar panels would be large, south-facing and pitched at around 30-45°, however, a correctly designed system will fit a roof no matter how it is built.
Some points to consider about your property, include;
The Way Your Roof Faces
The direction that your roof faces will influence the amount of sunshine the panels receive throughout the day. A south-facing roof is perfect for a solar panel system.
What’s the Angle of the Roof
Panels installed at an angle of between 30° and 45° is optimal, but they can work well at any angle around this. If you have a flat roof, solar panels can be installed but they will require a special frame system.
How Far South You Live
The further south in the UK you live, the more sunshine you’ll receive. This is why solar panels are more popular in the south of the UK – making Bristol and the surrounding area ideal for solar panels!
Find Out More About Solar Panels with The Roofing Company Bristol Ltd
Here at The Roofing Company Bristol Ltd, we have been offering solar panel installation in Bristol for many years and have a high level of expertise.
Jack McGivern works for Roofing Company Bristol Ltd as a marketing specialist